First thing out of the way, you need to get some work done on your home. Weather it be Waterproofing, an Addition, a new Roof, or simply changing Light Fixtures, having the right contractor for the job is crucial. Without a skilled eye and a good plan, contracting work can spiral out of control with “Change Orders” and confusing reports. Before you know it, you’ve spent twice what you wanted and it took 4x the time!
While we may all want to think that every contractor knows what they are doing, has our best interests in mind, and will do the right thing when push comes to shove, that may not always be the case…
Filtering out the Riff Raff
When selecting a contractor for work on your home, it is important to remember a few things:
- You Get What You Pay For.
- This is true in many aspects of life, but no truer than with your contractor. “Cheaper” contractors do not give the same quality at half the price. They cut corners, deceive, and typically do not call back when you have an issue. There is ALWAYS someone cheaper. Remember the quality and customer service go down with that price.
- Avoid Craig’s List and Chuck in a Truck.
- While it may be appealing to go with a guy who can get out there today and fix the issue, it may spark the question WHY can he come out so quick when other contractors are booked out? The soup shop with the line out the door is better than the one with no customers.
- Do Your Research
- Just because you saw a fancy ad, does not mean the company will care about you. Reviews on websites such as Yelp, Angie’s List, Google, and the BBB can provide insight into how the company does business. It can give even MORE insight into how a company handles problems.
Don’t Be Deceived
While you undoubtedly did extensive research for your contractor most of the time, there are times when we may be crunched for time and don’t fully research who is coming into your home. We all do it from time to time. The danger here is the Sales Rep. When we say Sales Rep here at Real Seal, we don’t mean our Foundation and Waterproofing Specialists. We don’t have Sales Reps, because we aren’t ever trying to sell you anything.
A Sales Rep is that guy (or girl) who comes to your house for the SOLE purpose of getting your money, right there, right then. These people can be extremely convincing, charming, and seem like your long-lost best friend falling from the sky to save you. Don’t be fooled, as these charmers tend to disappear after you hand them a check. Here are some tell-tale signs you may be living in a Glengarry Glen Ross movie:
- Promising the Moon
- Beware of over-promises, which can be very seductive. “All my problems solved forever for $500?? Say it ain’t so!”
- Pressure Sales
- Nobody should EVER pressure you into doing a project. This is YOUR home and YOUR decision. Anyone asking you multiple times in an appointment to do the work, sign the contract, etc, is NOT someone you want doing the work.
- Discounts for Signing Today
- Sales Reps can be deceiving with their pricing. Who knows where they get it from? When a rep offers you $500 off for signing now, was he going to leave that $500 on if you signed before he said that? What about those who call back a day later offering HUGE discounts? Were they ready to HOSE you on-site? The answer is YES, they absolutely were.
- Cheap Sales Tactics
- These can be anything from Stepping out for a cigarette so you can discuss with your wife to “Oh I didn’t know our appointment cancelled. I’m here anyway, mind if I take a look?” to them staying in your house for hours, making you uncomfortable.
The Grass IS Greener
You will NEVER experience these cheap tactics and dishonest moves with The Real Seal. We are here to serve you, not the other way around. We offer TRANSPARENT pricing for each of our services, all right on our website. It is a helpful comparison to see if the person at your home is throwing you through the ringer.
From How we do it videos to informational blogs to transparent pricing, you can do all of your research before we even come out! Our goal is to EDUCATE the customer. You want to know what is happening in your home and we want you to UNDERSTAND it. This is our passion. This is our purpose. We are here for YOU.
Thanks for reading, and as always:
“Not Everything’s Better When Wet”