Understanding how allergies worsen in basements that are damp and wet is important. Read here to get a better idea of why and how to prevent a wet basement.
Allergies are the absolute worst. Nobody likes waking up in the morning with itchy and watery eyes—plus a stuffy nose. Allergies can differ depending on the individual, and they can happen when someone encounters different substances and elements. Certain scenarios and elements can also make allergies worse overall. An example of something that can amp up allergies for anyone is a damp or wet basement.
This guide to understanding specifically how wet basements affect your allergies will not only educate you on how wet basements happen but also give you an idea of what you can do to make sure they don’t. Continue reading below for all the information you need.
Why Do Wet Basements Happen?
The basement is the one place in your home that’s most likely to cause you to have an allergy flare-up. This happens because of the high humidity in the basement compared to the humidity levels in other areas of the house. Unfortunately, this high-humidity environment allows allergens to thrive there comfortably, ramping up your allergies when you’re in the vicinity. Understanding that the overall damp environment creates the perfect condition for these allergens to grow will allow you to take the next step and the necessary precautions.
Mold in Basements
One of the many allergens that find comfort in a damp basement is mold. The presence of mold in your house can cause many allergy-related symptoms and even respiratory issues. Many people associate mold with unfinished basements, but finished basements can have this issue as well. Mold and mildew can grow on carpet, cloth, furniture, wallpaper, drywall, and even paint—wherever they happen to encounter water or moisture.
In general, it’s not healthy for you or anybody else to be around mold. However, it’s important to understand that people who suffer from asthma or allergies are at an even higher risk when exposed.
For more information check out – How Your Basement Impacts Home Air Quality?
Fix the Issue
Obviously, having a wet basement is a problem—especially if you have allergies. It’s important that you handle a situation such as this as soon as possible. Below are the steps you should follow to successfully fix and waterproof your basement. Don’t wait! Unfortunately, a wet or moldy basement can be a very unsafe environment.
- Identify the Allergen: This is important and necessary because you don’t want to just assume your basement has mold. By correctly identifying what type of allergen is in your wet basement, you can take the necessary steps to have it removed. Many times it is mold, but it might be something else—you never know. Depending on the environment and where you live, it might just be another allergen.
- Remove the Mold or Allergen: This step is a bit obvious, but you can’t ignore or overlook it. Removing the allergen as soon as possible will only save you from a bigger and more expensive situation down the road. You might have to hire a professional to remove it, but the removal process will be worth it when the mold or allergen is finally gone. Plus, it will allow you to be able to enjoy the space sooner rather than later, and who doesn’t want that?
- Fix Any Underlying Issues: Whether you have mold underneath the carpet or cracks in your foundation or plumbing issues that are directly causing the basement to be wet or damp, you need to fix the issue. Allowing these issues to continue will only make the situation (and your allergies) worse. We understand this won’t exactly be cheap, but it’s necessary. Don’t ignore this step, as it’s crucial for your health and for the safety of your basement and home.
- Remove Items That Promote Allergens: Certain items don’t thrive well in a damp and humid environment. For example, clothing and carboard boxes absorb and promote allergens, so eliminating them altogether will be a great help. Remove any clothing or cardboard boxes lying around from the area. You should do this whether or not there’s mold or another allergen in the basement due to the fact that these items just don’t do well in humid environments.
- Use a Dehumidifier: This can really make all the difference! If you want to reduce moisture levels in the basement and make it difficult for allergens and mold to live in the area, using a dehumidifier is exactly the way to do it. Different sizes are available for different spaces, so pick the perfect one for your basement.
Unfortunately, depending on the scenario, you might not be able to handle this problem on your own. Hiring a professional mold specialist will help immensely. A professional will not only be able to tell you the tendencies of the mold but also give you direction on how to remove it without damaging your home further. If you hire the right individual, they might even be able to save you money in the end with their insight and knowledge of the issue at hand.
Another professional you should consider hiring after you have dealt with the mold is a company that can help you waterproof your basement. Professionals from these companies will come into your home and take numerous steps to waterproof the entire area, hopefully eliminating any issues moving forward. The best part? You should have no issues with allergies when you’re in the basement after these professionals do their job!
If you’re in Chicago and searching for a Chicago basement waterproofing company, you’ve come to the right place. Here at The Real Seal, we can provide you with just the service you need. Our team consists of professionals who are excellent at what they do. We can provide you with outstanding service and quality work while hopefully improving your allergy symptoms as well. Take a glance at all our services on our website, or give call us and speak to one of our professionals. Either way, our team is dedicated to helping you get the service you need!