Did you know that out of all homes with a basement, 98% will have a water leak of some sorts? These wet basement issues can be quite minor, but they might turn into something major if left unattended. Many unfortunate instances of property damage and foundation problems have happened because of basement leaks, which is resulted from:
- Carpet Discoloration – If you have a small amount of water in your basement that made its way onto the carpet or the concrete it might not seem like a big deal. These stains, though, can be costly to clean, and they might be more than simple stains.
- Tarnished Walls – Floods or even spot leaks can leave stains on your walls, making them look dingy and damp. A plus side of this is it will help you identify leaks before they get out of control. The downside is needing to repaint or potentially even get new drywall.
- Mold – If any of the moisture that occurred because of basement leaks remains in your wall or carpet, mold will start to grow quickly. Mold can cause cold-like symptoms and sometimes more serious or even deadly illnesses. The best way to ensure no mold takes hold is to dry everything immediately. If something isn’t dry within 24 hours, consider throwing it away.
- Wider Foundation Cracks – You had cracks that let water leak in already, but now that it flowed through those cracks, it will flow through again, making them wider through erosion, and thus letting even more water leak in, creating a vicious cycle that ends with your basement underwater or…
- Collapse – If you neglect basement waterproofing services for too long, your foundation, weakened from the constant water erosion, could buckle. This would lead to your entire house crumbling on top of you. Of course, that’s an extreme scenario, but cracked foundation walls are a very serious problem. The type of crack that typically causes this runs horizontally along one wall in your basement. If you notice a horizontal crack, call a structural engineer immediately.
If you are facing a huge bill from property damage and repairs because of basement leaks , make sure to get your basement waterproofed as soon as possible. It will only get worse if left untreated, so call a basement waterproofing contractor today to protect your home.