According to data from the National Flood Insurance Program, floods are the number one disaster in America. In fact, flood claims amount to an average of over $3 billion each year. Basement leaks caused by heavy rain and flooding are no small problem. Even just a slightly wet basement could cost you quite a lot of problems such as:
- Roof Damage – One cause of basement leaks is backed up gutters or damaged shingles. If your roof comes under heavy rain, your gutters might break in addition to flooding. On top of that, you might face a waterlogged roof, which could mean an entire roof replacement.
- Foundation Repairs – If you had cracks in your foundation before, they are sure to be worse now. This could lead to further leaks and even bigger problems. Repairing foundation leaks can be expensive and time-consuming.
- Water Damage – Water, especially dirty groundwater that flows into your home during a flood, can be particularly destructive. It can dampen and potentially rot support struts, spread mold far and wide, and spread an awful odor throughout your home. If you don’t successfully dry your possessions within a day or two, you will need to throw them away.
- Sanitation – In the case of most floods, you won’t be able to dry your home. If this happens, you’ll need to have your home sanitized. Scrap anything that got soaked in the flood. Mold can have incredibly bad health effects, and the grime and gunk from a flood make it spread everywhere.
- Structural Damage – If the flood was bad enough, your house might collapse. This is partially due to rot and partially due to foundation erosion. The worst-case scenario isn’t always the case, but the number of homes that have been completely washed away due to a flood is staggering.