Many times we are called and asked how much the repairs are going to cost. Similar to a car mechanic before opening the hood, it can be difficult to diagnose an issue over-the-phone. But what about a specific issue? If you call your mechanic and tell him your Alternator needs to be replaced, he should be able to quote it off that. So why can’t we? Turns out we can!
A Simpler Process
One of the MAJOR things that set us apart is our “Transparent Pricing.” All over our website we have our pricing listed under each specific service. This means that if you know your issue, you can get a good estimate as to how much that repair will cost.
For example, if you have a Foundation Crack that is 8ft tall and has never been worked on before, a quick look at the site will show you that cost is $450.
Another more complicated example is for someone who wants to get a Drain Tile installed. Referencing our website actually gives you the tools to get yourself a good ballpark of the price. Now, Drain Tile is not something we can quote over the phone. We have to see the clearance, discharge locations, sump locations, electrical, access, and a list of other things as well to make sure the job turns out ok. Though the site does give you a reference point for other contractors as well. We are not all the same, but we aren’t THAT far apart either.
What Can Be Quoted Over The Phone?
With that preamble out of the way, let’s get to the meat and potatoes. If you call in, what can we quote you over the phone/email? Below, I’ll list the items that are easily quoted over the phone, along with the links to that pricing section of the site. That way, you can even skip that step! We love making things easy.
- Foundation Crack Repair
- With pictures, Foundation Cracks can be easily quoted over the phone. The main thing here is to see the width of the crack so we can determine if there is a structural aspect to it.
- Battery Backup/Sump Pumps
- Another easily quoted item, as replacing a Sump Pump has only a few moving parts that need to be addressed, and they are generally the same. A simple picture of the sump pit and we will have everything we need to quote it out. (Basement Sump Pump Installation Services)
What Can NOT Be Quoted Over The Phone?
This list is significantly larger. I will outline the general reasons why some of these services cannot be quoted over the phone as well. The important thing to remember here is the success of the repair. The reason we do not quote these over the phone is we need to see the issue to be sure we have the right fix, and the right aspects of the job in the quote, in order to accurately assess the situation.
- General Seepage Issues
- As we spoke about in the beginning of this blog, a mechanic cannot diagnose just a “sound” without opening the hood. We cannot diagnose “general seepage” without seeing it first. Any unspecific issues need “eyes-on.”
- Drain Tile
- While we can point you to the section to build up the quote yourself, we need to get in person in order to properly quote this system. There are many obstacles like walls in the way, sewer lines, trees (for discharge lines), and village-specific permit requirements.
- Egress Windows
- While we can easily quote our standard fee for a new window, we still need to see the basement. Obstacles, placement, access, and village-specific permit requirements restrict us from providing a full over-the-phone quote.
- Window Wells
- Again, another easy one to point to on our pricing, but what is around the window well really matters. For instance, many times there is an A/C unit, porch, cement, or some other thing that prevents us from simply replacing the well. Best to get our specialists there so we can give a proper quote.
- Crawl Spaces
- There is so much that goes on inside a crawl space, and so few people actually crawl around down there. Save yourself the trouble, and let one of our specialists get dirty and figure it out. From cracks to seepage to humidity issues to open crawl space vents, we really need to do a full evaluation in order to determine how to best repair Crawl Spaces.
Read more about – Why You Need To Waterproof Your Crawl Space?
- Foundation Piers
- Last but certainly not least, Foundation Piers. When your home is settling and needs to be lifted, it is not as simple as a price per pier(which you can find on our website at $2,000/per pier). There are engineering fees, permit costs, finishings that need to be removed/replaced, concrete, etc. And those are just some of the line items for the work. We first have to determine HOW it is settling and HOW to repair, which is much more in depth than a picture and phone call can provide.
Doing It Right, The First Time
Here at The Real Seal, we pride ourselves on doing the work right the first time. We do not want to “guess” at customers’ issues or “hope” that a repair will work. We want to be SURE of the issue and WARRANTY the repair. That way, you as the customer can be confident that the issues have been addressed and your home repairs are done with quality and care. If we are unable to quote over the phone, we will set up a time for someone to come out and evaluate your situation for the best possible solution.
Thanks for reading, and as always:
“Not Everything’s Better When Wet”