A wet home isn’t fun for anybody, especially if you’re the one writing the check for foundation repair or water damage. Not only can excess water cause flooded basements and cracked foundation walls, it also brings a hidden danger — mold.
Mold isn’t just dangerous to your home, it’s also dangerous for anyone living inside it. Because mold grows in dark, damp spaces, i.e., the places you rarely look, it can contaminate your home without anyone ever noticing. A mold outbreak can wreak havoc on our respiratory systems. And considering the fact that Americans spend between 60 and 90% of our time indoors, we want our air quality to be as safe as possible!
Don’t get caught by surprise by mold , one of the unfortunate side effects of water damage. Keep reading to discover some of the hidden dangers of mold in the home:
Here are some of the hidden dangers of mold to keep in mind the next time you discover water leaking inside your home.
Keep these facts in mind the next time your home experiences a leak or you discover a broken sump pump. Don’t forget to get any excess moisture dried up right away!
- There are more than 1,000 species of mold found in the United States. This includes molds of every size, shape, and color.
- Mold and asthma go hand in hand. One 2007 study reported that about 21% of all American asthma cases were potentially caused by dampness or mold. Another study completed in 2010 agreed with this finding, showing that a full 8 to 20% of all respiratory infections in the U.S. were associated with dampness or mold.
- Mold spores can start growing as quickly as 24-48 hours after a home has experienced a leak. One of the best ways to prevent mold growth is to keep your indoor humidity below 70%. Ideally, keeping your levels between 25 and 60% will keep your home as cool and dry as possible.