It is safe to say that no homeowner wants a wet basement, but unfortunately, a full 98% of all homes with basements will experience some type of water damage.
Mold is a silent but deadly threat in the home. Considering that mold is naturally attracted to damp and wet environments, mold growth is a huge risk for many homeowners if water has gotten into their residence.
Interestingly enough, mold is quite a unique substance. Here are some fun facts about mold that will inspire you to keep it out of your house!
- Mold can be present without you even seeing it
Mold spores can grow in the air and sometimes, you won’t be able to see it with a naked eye. So this is why you need to make sure to clean and dry your home thoroughly after water has entered to cut down on the risk of developing mold in the air you breathe.
- Dead mold is just as harmful as live mold
Simply killing mold is not the answer. Spraying chemicals may remove the appearance of mold, but the spores will still be floating around the air. For all intents and purposes, live mold is the same as dead mold, so it is crucial you contact a professional to remove it completely at the first sign it is forming in your home.
- Mold causes all sorts of medical problems
Mold can cause plenty of health problems, including respiratory infections, rashes, wheezing, itchy eyes, asthma, and chronic inflammatory response syndrome. If you are experiencing any or all of these symptoms, mold may be to blame.
- Mold can be any color of the rainbow
Mold can be pink, gray, black, green, and even yellow. It can be fuzzy, slick, hard, and even sharp. Mold is quite versatile, so if you notice anything that looks like it doesn’t belong in your home, call a professional right away.
The best way to keep mold out of your home for good is to make sure water doesn’t have any way to get in. Our basement waterproofing company will be able to ensure your basement stays nice and dry all year round, and in doing so, we’ll help to keep the mold at bay!