A leaky basement is not something any homeowner should ignore. Home waterproofing and foundation repairs are crucial not only for the structural security of your home, but for the well-being of your family members.
Still think that a wet basement isn’t that big of a deal? Here are four reasons why your damp house is ruining your family’s health.
Moisture in a wet basement is a breeding ground for harmful bacteria. Once airborne, the bacteria can cause many different harmful infections, and if they are not cleaned out properly the sickness will keep coming back. These bacteria colonies like to grow on damp, organic matter such as wooden floorboards and walls.
And without the proper foundation sealing, these airborne bugs can easily spread throughout the house.
Mold is the most common health hazard that comes with working and living in moist environments. Simply speaking, mold is a fungus and comes in a rainbow of colors, including black, brown, yellow, pink, or green. It can be fuzzy and grows rapidly on basically anything indoors, from carpeting to drywall. Mold releases tiny spores of fungus within the air, and when ingested these spores can harm your airways. Those who spend time in mold-infested environments can suffer from headaches, respiratory illnesses, asthma, and eye infections.
Noticing a trend yet? We’ve covered bacteria and fungus, and now it’s time to move on to pests of the six-legged variety.
Dust mites are a surprising side effect to damp basements. They thrive in warm environments, and these little guys feel right at home surrounded by water. So if you are experiencing a stuffy nose, itchy eyes, and sneezing, you may have an invasion of dust mites in your basement. In order to banish these bugs, experts recommend keeping the humidity of your home at less than 50%, and investing in air conditioning for exceptionally warm days.